Thursday 11 May 2017

Betty Broke Down - Fan Belt





Was on my way to work. Just driving up a hill and I only notice a little bit of smoke and a smell from the engine. So pulled over and took a look.

Thought initially the fan belt was on its way out as belt was smoking and pulleys where really HOT.

So started to change the fan belt and noticed that the rear part of the pulley was stuck against the front of the alternator.

Thought it could be the alternator bearings had gone (worse case!) BUT after trying to remove the front pulley it became clear that it was just spinning around on the fan & alternator and the rear part of the pulley was not moving.

So after holding the front pulley with some mole grips I managed to take the front pulley and belt off.

Here is what happened to the rear pulley:




As you can see it has detached its self from the center part. It does not look like the welding 

BUT more like metal fatigue.

I suppose the Alternator must spin at at least x2 as fast as the engine so spinning at 8000 rpm it must have given up!

Also here is the effect of it on the front side of the alternator




Nice bit of machining going on there!

So could not attach the two parts of the pulley together. No spare on board! (funny enough I do carry a lower Crank pulley as mine is rust around the weld as a spare just in case!)

Could not repair thought about trying to drive home but engine could overheat.

So called the AA - They arrived in 1/2 Hour. Very good response.

Nice bloke also called Steve arrived........ No parts or repair on roadside......... Started looking at recovery......

Then he asked if I could order a part - I said GSF have them and might be in stock.

So he said he could take me in the AA van to GSF Nottingham branch. GSF had one in stock and £10.50 paid.

I let him fit it with my guidance (That's what I pay the AA for!)

All sorted 5 minutes later and my spare belt fitted.

Away I went! Broken down at 8:00 was on the road at 9:35 not bad!

Lessons Learnt - 

1) Carry more spares - Yes BUT carry more spares of rotating moving parts! So I am going to have another look at the on board spares.
2) Compile a list of local motor factors in my book or phone!

1 comment:

  1. Good work! GSF and Euro car parts in Notts have saved me a few times. Nice one getting the paid help to do the heavy lifting :) see you at the weekend then!

    ReplyDelete