Sunday 3 August 2014

Kombi Wheel Arch Rust Repair

Common rust trap on T2 Bays. Water from the road tire rotation constantly spraying onto the underside of the front seats. Any damage or stop chips in the under seal leads to corrosion.

Rust noticed around the drivers side seat runners and seat belt mount.

 
Only slight surface rust but somethings going on underneath.

Closer inspection seems that under seal has had quite a but of wear. Instead of just covering it up I thought I would take a closer look under the seal.

Warning - Removal of under seal is BEST done totally dry - Do not foolishly attempt (as I did first time) to remove with any form of solvent, petrol etc. It won't won't work and makes a horrible mess.




After a lot of scraping of under seal I managed to start to revel the original paintwork. There is a strange 3 layer plate around the seat runner. It was sealed with just silicone sealant and the water had got behind.

After a lot more scraping and then using a multiple of wire brushes and having found a brillo pad style disc had the best effect.


Back to bare metal. Treated with Jenolite rust killer. Then primed with Zinc 182 Primer.


Once Primed applied 2 coats of Hammerite white.


Then applied many thick coats of under seal.


Check and renewed the passenger side wheel arch. No sign of rust on the passenger side so just over coated the under seal.



1 comment:

  1. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not that good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he enjoyed it as well!

    Auto Body rust repair

    ReplyDelete